Wednesday, 2 March 2016

A fireside story...


Jane: I’ve got a story to tell you all! In the winter of ’32, I turned 17. I hit the road for the first time, taking the advice of older hobos. I headed south to warmer climes where I could get work, $1-a-day plus food and shelter. I made friends with a young woman in the same situation as me. Mary was also my age and size. Everyone believed we were sisters. We thought a lot alike and hit if off very good. We teamed up and decided to make our fortune together. All went well with us, until one night when Mary and I were riding on the ladders between two boxcars. It was so cold my hands nearly froze. I slipped my arm over a rung of the ladder and put my hand in my jacket pocket. Being back to back, I couldn’t see Mary. All of a sudden the train gave a jerk, as it took up slack in the draw bars. I heard Mary let out a muffled moan. Mary was gone, disappeared under the wheels! No way could Mary survive. I got so sick I had to climb up and lie on the catwalk. From then on, I was a loner. I never teamed up with anyone again, but I kept on the road…

Girl: But you’re not on your own darling; I’m here for you!

Jane: Is that you? I thought you were a goner!

Girl: Why do you say that? Don't you remember our conversation?

Jane: Yeah, I remember, yeah … so where did you get to? You left me all alone!

Girl: But, I didn't leave! You would have been in so much trouble if it wasn’t for me, Jane! I always keep an eye on you!

The others: Ha, Jane's losing it guys!

Girl: Jane, stay with us!

Jane: OK, Mary, OK...

No comments:

Post a Comment